Saturday, June 27, 2009

"No-see-ums" Texas Style

I have heard tell of "no-see-ums" but until our last trip to Texas I don't recall encountering them personally. But on this last mission trip I think I did! One evening, after supper, we were sitting in the breezeway between the kitchen and the dining hall. I was wearing my Capri pants. (I add that fashion detail so you know that from about my knees down my legs were exposed.) In those brief few minutes some sort of insect ate me alive! At the time I kept brushing little black specks off my legs and thought nothing about it. It was only later that I realized how many times I had been bitten.

Usually I have a slight allergic reaction to insect bites--and insects, especially mosquitoes, love my blood. I know this, because I can be outside with a group and I will be the only one the mosquitoes bite. But on this particular evening in Texas something had a feast on my lower legs and ankles. As usual the bites began to itch. A mosquito bite will itch almost immediately, swell into a rather large (thumb nail sized) whelp, then in an hour or so, go away. Not so with these Texas no-see-ums!

Later that evening when I described my insect encounter to a local who lived on the Bayview campus she said, "Oh, those were probably no-see-ums." The itching of these bites has been many, many, many times worse than any mosquito bite I have ever had. These little bites first make clear raised blistery type bumps. Of course I scratched them, sometimes without even thinking about it and after a time another little blister would appear. The itch was intense and persistent, the area red and angry.

After a day or two the blistery, scabby spots on my legs reminded me of chicken pox. All the while I repeatedly slathered the areas with anti-itch cream. When that didn't quell the itch I washed my legs with hydrogen peroxide. Nothing. For two or three nights after we returned to Missouri the itching woke me in the middle of the night which meant another application of one or the other of the above mentioned remedies. After the second night I bought a bottle of calamine lotion--and that helped not at all! Finally someone suggested an anti-itch stick of Benadryl. That has helped, thank God. The itching has subsided and the angry red areas have calmed down to some extent.

Of course during this itching ordeal I went to the Internet to research no-see-ums and found a very disturbing set of photographs. Did you know that these no-see-ums (a.k.a. sand flies) can carry a parasite and infect people with its bite? These parasites are usually found in the tropics and subtropics (sigh of relief), but some cases have been reported in Texas! Yikes!

Seeing the photographs of the ever-expanding sores which "resemble a volcano" (descriptive words from the articles and obvious in the photos) you can bet I will keep a close watch on the bites on my leg. If any of them fail to heal I will report it immediately to my physician. The kicker is that these parasitic sores can appear months after the initial bite--but, as Scarlet would say, that is tomorrow's problem. Right now I am just thankful the itching has stopped.

5 comments:

  1. I think the most miserable I've ever been in my riddled-with-misery life was when I somehow picked up a scabies infestation. Skin lice. Eeeeew. And oh my goodness the ITCH! It took me several weeks, an application of neurotoxic soap and then diligent scrubbing with enzyme wash and application of sulfur cream before they finally went away.

    The good news though: I found in the enzymes a natural remedy for head lice (the enzymes dissolive their exoskeleton-non toxic for humans. Also works against roaches, ants, any insect and makes a good mop water), if we should ever be so blessed, since those critters are nowadays resistant to the lice shampoos on the market. www.safesolutionsinc.com Not that that would help for no-see-ums.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had these things too! I had to get rid of my chihuahua because she was bringing them in our house and after spinal surgery, I just couldn't keep vacuuming and worried about my son getting infected. I saw today that the parasite they can carry is frightening. Hope you are feeling better? Did you see a doctor for it and if so, who?? I think that's what has been bugging me (no pun intended) for months that I just couldn't see. Started last summer when I installed an above ground pool and put sand under to even the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The spots finally disappeared and I've not had any further difficulties. Hope you can resolve your problem as easily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went camping last weekend in S. FL and I didn't notice any mosquitoes, but my legs had bites all over them with red whelps and the next day they were like little watery festers. Four days later they are better but have itched and itched. Alcohol and Witch Hazel seemed to help. What is weird is that some of the places were almost gone and began to itch again waking me up at night. Yellow flies were terrible but was not bitten by them. Thank God!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, waking in the night with the itching, I do remember. I recently got into poison ivy and had a similar itching adventure. In that episode I discover old fashioned lye soap. Very good for poison ivy blisters. Might try it on the blisters of the no-see-ums.

    ReplyDelete