Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Mexican vanilla & mission...

MOLAMCO 2009 just completed this year's short term mission trip to the Texas-Mexico border where we worked with Southwest Good Samaritan Ministries. SWGSM is involved with political and religious refugees from Central and South America. It also provides various opportunities of service and outreach among the working poor in Texas and Mexico.

Missouri Ozark Lakes Area Mission Cooperative, (MOLAMCO), led by my husband, has evolved over the last 5 years. The request of a teenage girl in my husband's congregation started the ball rolling when she asked, "Can we make a short term mission trip before I graduate?" From that initial group of adults and youth, nine in all, the annual mission trip has mushroomed. This year thirty-three of us went from three different congregations of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)in southwest Missouri. We ranged in age from 8 to 70 years. The youngest, a boy, on the service mission trip with his mother, worked side by side with his grandfather and grandmother--three generations on mission together. Does it get any better than that?

One afternoon after the two "casitas" were built, some in our group had the opportunity to visit a Mexican market. Being aware of the good reputation of Mexican vanilla, several of us wanted a bottle of it to take home with us. Since I didn't go to the market one of the women in our group volunteered to buy a bottle for me. And boy did I get a bottle of vanilla!

Think about it this way, for the last 27 years we have moved our household several times. (I calculate 27 years because we returned to the States in 1982 from living abroad for 16 years. I reckon that I bought a new bottle of vanilla upon arriving in the States. Remember my husband was a minister before I was ordained so our life has been a "moving" adventure for the last 45 years.)

With each stateside move I have carefully packed my little 3 oz bottle of imitation vanilla--and this little bottle, after 27 years of baking, is still half full. In other words in the last 27 years I have used 1.5 ounces of imitation vanilla. Quick, tell me, how long it will take me to use 33.8 fluid ounces of pure vanilla? Mexican vanilla comes in one liter bottles, 33.8 fluid ounces! Now I will have to rewrite my will to accommodate this new treasure because I know I will not live long enough to use it all.

6 comments:

  1. How do you go through vanilla so slowly? I have to buy a new bottle every other month or more often. Probably because I put it in fruit and milk smoothies so often.

    Well, if you need to share any of that mexican vanilla, you know where I live....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you live so long with me and not realize how seldom I baked? I tell the story about you and DP coming back from a meal at a friend's house saying, "Mama, they had cake and nobody had a birthday!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Even I don't bake that often and I've already bought at least two bottles of vanilla since we've been married. Now that you have "fancy" vanilla you will have to use more of it.

    (I think the postal service will special-ship baked goods.)
    -Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the postal service will ship tapped off bottles of vanilla, too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I can find appropriate bottles I might bring some when I come in August. Would that make me a welcome guest?

    ReplyDelete