Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Reflections on my own life....

Today, working to put my office in order after our last move I came across this poem tucked in the back of an old family Bible.  Obviously I had put it there at some point because it had been written by me as a seminary assignment.  


Spiritual Formation and the Minister.  
Reflections and Accountability Report #5. 
Barbara Taylor Minton
September 30, 1993

Reflections on my own life after the 1993 Cobb Lectures.

A hunger, not knowing you're starving,
a thirst to the depths of your soul,
the child, knowing nothing of Life,
finds joy in the dusty old Word.

As a youth her yearning unfolding,
her longing finds little relief.
A hunger so real abides with her still
and she nibbles at crumbs that are old.

In depths of despair the hunger's still there.
I am starved!  I thirst for relief.
God help me, I cry!
I will surely die unless there is much more than this.

The Spirit of God is alive and abounds
beyond the confines of the Word.
Is this truth or a lie?
Won't I surely die in the presence of Almighty God?

No, God's presence gives life, the soul is revived.
Separation brings death to the soul.
Oh, spirit to Spirit, the branch to the Vine....
I see!  And in awe, I behold!

The Spirit flows through me, my being transforms.
There is life!
There is Life!
There is God!

Filling, transforming, leading, guiding...
pruning and comfort combined!
There is Life beyond life!
The Spirit gives Life!
There is hope because there is God!


2 comments:

  1. I really like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara, this is beautiful and so well said! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete