Thursday, March 7, 2013

Until Death
















a poem written for my Beloved on our 20th wedding anniversary

Look the length of the road
Before beginning the walk.
Is that a serious suggestion
Or wistful talk?

Can one hope to see
Beyond the first bend,
Over mountains, through forests?
Where is the end?

The future is not ours to say
Until tomorrow becomes today.

May I but vow to walk with you
Continuing, come what may,
And with God's help grow with you as one
Until death completes our day?

But will you wait should I lag behind,
Call, should I run ahead,
Carry me when I am tired and weak,
And be honest about your dread?

Will you have patience should a butterfly
Or a falling leaf catch my eye?

My pledge to you is to persevere
Despite mountain, river, or shoal,
Arid waste, tempting shade,
Or paths divergent from our original goal.

I can but vow to walk with you
Confident, come what may,
Assured of God's power making us one
Until death completes our way.
~Barbara Taylor Minton,  27. August 1983

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A related blog ...a good solid incompatibiliity... link in the right hand column.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara, this is a beautiful poem and sooooooooo describes the Thomas and Barbara that I know. Really lovely....very well said. gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! And little did you know that here, all these years later, you'd be here, still feeling that way. I really love this.

    ReplyDelete